Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A View From the Porch: A Retrospective

From my porch, I have seen…

· Four cycles of the maple tree in the front yard, from bright gold to barren gray branches, to palest green to deep emerald and back again;

· Does and their fawns crossing the street at midnight;

· The Seeing Eye: dogs and owners and trainers up and down the sidewalks, learning to walk together;

· Wedding guests rushing to find a parking spot before donning jackets and hats, on their way to Assumption Church on a Saturday afternoon;

· Mourners of all ages, dressed in everything from dark suits and ties to blue jeans and t-shirts, going to pay their last respects to a family member or beloved friend;

· Neighbors on their way to the grocery store, or the dry cleaners, or the library;

· Squirrels engaged in a thousand gymnastic activities, from fence rails and tree branches;

· Basil and parsley and rosemary growing in hanging pots, luxuriant under the summer sun.

I have watched the life of a town there: a busy, lively community that has been my home for a while. A bit of my heart will remain here; I will always be grateful for the lessons I learned in this place and with this group of people.

1 comment: